Virtual tour click here
The Margaret Z. Dozier House at Big Bend Hospice
Big Bend Hospice provides hospice care in the patients own home, in a long term care facility, assisted living facility or in a hospital. Most of our patient’s receive home care. If the level of medical need changes and families find that the patient needs more medical oversight than they can provide at home, the patient may be brought to Hospice House for short term crisis care. The House is staffed by RN’s 24 hours a day with medical supervision being provided by the patients own physician and our Hospice Medical Directors. Hospice House has a home-like environment with twelve individually furnished bedrooms with private bathroom, open spaces for families to gather, a children’s playroom, and a beautiful private garden. Visitors of all ages are encouraged to visit at any time.
Hospice House Admission Criteria
Once a patient has been admitted to Big Bend Hospice, they are eligible for Hospice House if the need arises. Hospice House serves families in Franklin, Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Taylor and Wakulla counties. The Hospice nurse will work with the family to determine when a Hospice House placement is needed.
Hospice House might be appropriate for a patient if:
- Pain is not controlled and needs aggressive treatment.
- There is a complicated delivery of medications requiring the oversight of an RN.
- There is a need for frequent evaluation by a physician or nurse.
- Medications frequently need adjustment.
- There is a sudden physical deterioration requiring intensive nursing interventions.
- The patient is experiencing uncontrolled nausea.
- Experiences respiratory distress which becomes unmanageable.
- They need complex wound care.
- They require frequent repositioning that requires more than one staff member.
- The patient’s caregiver needs to be taught complex medications, treatments, etc, when
transitioning between hospital and home, nursing home, or assisted living facility.
- Their caregiver can no longer provide for their needs at home.